Saddles have been serving different purposes for hundreds of years, but a lot has changed in that time. The same concept was used several years ago to develop the ergonomic saddle chair, a refined version that supports better posture, boosts productivity, and helps with back pain, neck pain, hip pressure, blood circulation, and more.
Today, it’s no longer only a chair for medical professionals, beauticians, and artists. Office workers, business owners, and people at home can use it as well. It’s as versatile as they come!
Unfortunately, not every option on the market will live up to your expectations. It takes a lot of research and due diligence to find the right one, a task I gladly dived into so you could save time and effort.
Some of the factors I used to narrow down my list include ergonomic features, seat style and design, and dimensions. Here’s a round-up of the winners.
- Grace & Grace Professional Saddle Stool – Best Overall
- HAG Capisco Adjustable Standing Desk Chair
- KKTONER Rolling Saddle Stool – Best Budget
- Master Massage Berkeley Split Seat Saddle Stool With Backrest
- Master Massage Berkeley Ergonomic Split Style Saddle Stool
Features And Dimensions
What Is The Best Ergonomic Saddle Chair? (Top 5)
Don’t let this chair’s minimalistic look trick you into thinking that it has little to offer. You would be wrong. In fact, it’s the quintessential best ergonomic saddle seat: comfortable, versatile, safe, and functional.
Although it has a solid seat, lots of users have admitted to using it all day without any pain or discomfort.
- Solid seat
- 360-degree swivel
- Dimensions: 14.9″D x 15.3″W x 27.9″H
- Material: metal frame and PVC leather seat
- Recommended weight capacity: 400 lbs
- Chair weight: 12.32 lbs
- Reinforced nylon casters
Beneath the thick PVC leather seat lies a dense sponge that’s not only comfortable but also breathable. Delicate stitching completes the look, turning the swivel stool into eye candy. Whatever environment you use it in, it will without a doubt glamorize it.
A hydraulic lift powers its height adjustability function, making it possible for the user to double their performance and concentration. This feature also takes care of back problems and lack of motivation.
Another thing worth mentioning is that its movement is quiet, thanks to the nylon-reinforced casters.
- 360-degree swivel and height adjustability enable the user to play and work more effectively
- Thickly padded seat for higher comfort
- Durable and quiet casters make the chair great for professional and home use
- Easy to assemble; no special tool needed
- An anti-exploding plate beneath the seat guarantees safety
- A sturdy base and frame allow for higher weight capacity
- The seat is too wide to be comfortable for smaller or younger people
Whatever your reason for wanting a saddle chair, count on this option to tick most–if not all–the boxes. It’s also reasonably priced and fairly outfitted, which makes it a great buy.
I know you are wondering whether this is really a saddle stool with a backrest or just another refined, stylish ergonomic chair. It’s actually a cross between the two, combining the best of both worlds to create a real gem.
- Solid seat with backrest
- Fully adjustable seat height and seat depth
- Dimensions: 13-16″D x 19″W X 22.5″-33″H
- 18.5″ backrest
- Back tilt
- Recommended weight capacity: 250 lbs
- Chair weight: 30.5 lbs
- Material: alloy steel and recyclable polyester
Part of the credit for this chair’s popularity goes to Joe Rogan. In fact, some users call it the Joe Rogan chair. Bearing in mind that this is a person who spends most of his day sitting, it’s only fair to assume that this chair is suitable for any required prolonged sitting.
HAG Capisco’s biggest selling point, however, is the freedom of movement and posture it guarantees. You can sit forward, upright, sideways, or backward, and in all of these positions, you will feel relaxed, energized, or motivated, depending on the task at hand.
Even better, you can tilt the back or adjust the height and seat depth for a custom position that provides the most comfort and health benefits.
- Multiple sitting positions and height and depth adjustability for all-day comfort
- Wide, high-density foam-padded saddle seat promotes blood circulation
- Recyclable materials are environmentally-friendly
- Casters suitable for both carpeted and hardwood floors
- Soft backrest and back tilt reduce the risk of neck and back pains
- Quality materials make it a durable option
- Relatively high price tag
This is your chance to create an active, healthy workplace and double productivity. You can pair it with an ergonomic standing desk for even better results. It may be pricey but the efficiency, comfort, and health benefits you get in return make it a worthy buy.
Colorful ergonomic saddle stools are a feast for the eyes. Pair that with superior comfort and an incredibly low price and you have the KKTONER rolling saddle tool. It’s a simple chair that does the job and can rival its expensive counterparts.
- Solid seat
- 360-degree saddle seat
- Material: leather
- Dimensions: 18.9″D X 14.3″W X 17.7″-24″H
- Height adjustable
- Recommended weight capacity: 300 lbs
- Chair weight: 9.2 lbs
Beneath the faux leather lies a soft cushion that guarantees exceptional comfort and pressure distribution; however, since it’s not split, be careful using this chair for long hours or you will be at risk of experiencing back and neck pain.
The height can be adjusted though, plus the saddle swivels too, both of which help in easing pain and aches caused by unhealthy sitting positions.
At 9.2 pounds, this is probably the lightest chair you will find on the market. Even better, it rolls on both soft and hard floors without any difficulty.
- Soft cushions, adjustable height, and swiveling seat guarantee a healthier sitting posture
- Up to five color options available to match your interior decor
- Wearproof, oil-resistant, and water-resistant PU leather suits busy environments such as offices and beauty parlors
- Very affordable
- Easy to carry and move around
- Not suitable for extended periods of time but it serves its purpose well for short sessions
When on a budget and in search of a low-cost ergonomic chair that doesn’t sacrifice comfort and functionality, look no further than the KKTONER rolling saddle stool.
I know there’s a good number of us, especially men, who find the traditional solid style saddle a bit uncomfortable when used for long hours. Here’s an alternative made to support your body during prolonged periods spent sitting. It even has a backrest to provide much-needed support to your back and neck.
- Split seat with backrest
- Dimensions: 15.7″W x 15″D x 31″-44″H
- Seat height adjustment: 21″-28″
- Back tilt
- Waterfall edging
- Recommended weight capacity: 660 lbs
- Chair weight: 22 lbs
- Seat cushion: 2″
- Backrest cushion: 1.8″
- Material: PU leather
- Casters: Nylon reinforced with white edge
With the split seat style, you can rest assured that there will be no pressure on your pelvis area and no heat retention to cause discomfort. Your spine will also be in its most natural position.
All those features combined allow you to sit for long hours without feeling pain or discomfort. You can achieve a healthier posture by adjusting the seat height and back to a more relaxed position.
Most saddle chairs use glue to hold the cushion to the seat base, but this Master Massage saddle stool takes a different approach for increased durability. The foam cushioning on the seat pad is permanently molded onto the base.
- Split seat style offers the best comfort for long workdays
- Backrest for lumbar support
- Waterfall edging eases pressure on the thighs for increased comfort
- Control panel on the side for easy adjustment of the back and seat height
- Nylon-reinforced wheels allow for easy, quiet movement on both hard and carpeted floors
- Extra stability from an aluminum 5-star base
- The PU leather is not only durable but also water- and oil proof
- Limited to only one color option so check to be sure it can blend well with your interior decor
The health benefits of this Master Massage saddle stool are well documented by its users. You need not look any further than this chair if you sit for long hours and need a saddle seat that suits your lifestyle.
Quality split-seat style saddle chairs don’t come cheap. With a backrest included, the cost shoots up further, but if you are willing to sacrifice this feature for the sake of price, this may be the right option for you. Unlike its sister above, this one has no backrest and is a little cheaper.
- Split saddle
- Dimensions: Size: 15.7″W X 15″D x 21″-28″H
- Height adjustable
- Seat cushion: 2″
- Material: PU leather
- Nylon wheels
- Recommended weight capacity: 660 lbs
- Chair weight: 17.6 lbs
Like all split-seat chairs, expect less pressure and discomfort in your pelvis area. Your legs and back will also experience superior comfort all day with extra support from the foam cushioning.
The gentle contouring on the front side of the seat adapts especially well to male physiology, enabling better blood circulation. Add to this the higher weight capacity and it all makes sense why men – big and small – cherish this chair.
Adjusting the height is a stress-free affair because the gears for doing so are conveniently placed on the side of the chair.
- Split seat for all-day comfort
- Hypoallergenic seat padding minimizes the risk of skin allergies
- Available in various colors to suit your home or office interior decor
- The waterfall edging helps to relax the thighs
- Convenient placement of the control panel for easier control
- Better stability and durability due to the aluminum five-star base
- Nylon-reinforced wheels for quiet and safe movement on both hard and carpeted floors
- Made of PU leather which is resilient, making it great for busy environments
- Height begins to drop from the original position after a while but this can be easily fixed with guidance from the manufacturer
Because of its split seat design, this chair suits men particularly well and it’s an especially suitable option if you are looking at sacrificing the backrest for a more affordable option that still does the job.
What Is A Saddle Ergonomic Chair?
Ergonomic saddle seats borrow the concept of the traditional horse saddles, only they have been refined to offer higher comfort.
As a result, users experience better posture and less fatigue and physical discomfort, which then improves one’s productivity. It’s not surprising that the list of benefits is endless, because these chairs come in many forms and designs, all of which promise a unique experience.
The same can also be said of an ergonomic kneeling chair with a saddle seat, but let’s leave that for another day.
Common features that make saddle chairs ergonomic include:
- Height adjustability
- 360-degree swivels
- Thick padding
- Seat width and tilt
- Back tilt
- Waterfall edging
These chairs come in two styles – solid seats and split seats – each with its own unique features and functions. More about this later.
In the past, saddle chairs were mostly used by beauticians, dentists, and other health professionals, but the evolution of the design has made them more versatile. Today, they are common in offices and homes too.
What To Look For In An Ergonomic Saddle Seat?
The frustrating stage in your efforts to find the right ergonomic saddle seat will be shopping. It’s a crowded market and if you’re not careful you could easily end up with the wrong furniture. That’s why we’re here to save the day. These factors should guide you to your dream saddle chair.
The two common styles, as I told you earlier, are a solid seat and a split seat. Both have a curved sitting area to keep your legs wide and hips open and a slightly raised middle area to ensure you don’t fall.
The difference is that the split seat is divided in the middle to create two separate sitting areas. Some chairs let you adjust them independently.
The idea behind this design is to help the user stay cooler for longer, especially if you often feel too warm when you sit for long hours. You will also experience less pressure in the pelvic area.
Solid seats, on the other hand, offer a more stable platform. Your weight is spread uniformly, and as a result, reduces the discomfort caused by uneven pressure. It’s not as versatile and flexible as the split seat design, though.
Let’s start with the height. Saddle chairs sit higher than the average chair, but the height is often adjustable, which makes them versatile. You will want to confirm whether the model you wish to buy is height-adjustable. Some are half-adjustable while others completely lack this feature.
Next, consider the profession or occasions you want to use the chair for. Some work better with a higher saddle chair while others would need the chair to sit lower.
Also, check the seat pan’s angle. The pan is the seat part of the chair, and the sweet spot for superior comfort lies between 120° to 135° (the angle between your torso and thigh).
Design and comfort are correlated. Waterfall edging, for example, relieves pressure from your legs and back.
Similarly, thick padding creates comfort but it should be firm instead of too soft because this will create pressure points and cause discomfort.
Another aspect of the design is the backrest. It’s not a must for everyone, but if you feel that your core may be overworked, get a chair with a backrest to help maintain the correct posture.
Casters and wheels are an essential part of the chair as well. Make sure they are durable, maneuverable, and made of a material that’s gentle to your floor.
Other factors worth considering include
- The material the chair frame and seat padding are made of
- Price (go for a reasonably priced saddle chair that’s not cheaply made)
- The chair’s recommended weight limit
- Extras such as saddle tilt and contour
Armed with all these factors in mind and with your preferences and needs already decided, it will be smooth sailing as you go through the shopping process. In the end, you will make a purchasing decision you will be proud of.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are saddle seats good for your back?
Your back is among the many areas ergonomic saddle seats are designed to protect and keep healthy. Your knees will be set at an angle of between 120° to 135° from the hips while sitting and this will keep your back free from pain, cause your pelvis and spine to be properly positioned, and strengthen your muscles.
Are saddle chairs good for your hips?
The straight answer is yes. Saddle chairs do a better job of protecting your hips than the typical chair. Their ergonomic design helps to open and relax your hips (keep your knees apart) and this takes the pressure off your hip joint cartilage and lower back and improves blood circulation in the hip area.
Can you use a saddle chair all day?
Sitting for too long in any chair is generally not good for physical and mental health. Complications such as neck pain, back pain, and musculoskeletal disorders have been tied to prolonged sitting.
Spending an entire day sitting on an ergonomic solid-seat saddle chair is no exception, but split-seat saddle chairs can be. They conform to the physiology of your body and can make those long hours pain-free and safe thus improving sitting health.
Saddle Ergonomic Chair In Summary
Backaches, lack of motivation, low productivity, and physical discomfort don’t stand a chance against the chairs on our list. The ball is now in your court!
Ergonomic saddle chairs suit different places and occasions. From home and office to art studios, beauty parlors, and clinics, the list goes on. Remember to first establish your needs and your specific environment before buying one.
The Grace & Grace Professional Saddle Stool is the best overall as it is well-equipped to suit just about any use. You can hardly go wrong with it, not to mention it scores high on safety, comfort, and versatility.
If it doesn’t fit the bill, though, any of the other chairs on our list might be just what you need. You only need to explore their features to establish whether they are a perfect fit by using this guide.
All the best in your search!
- The Best Electric Standing Desks From The Past – Comprehensive Guide - November 23, 2023
- Your Complete Guide To The Best Ergonomic Kneeling Chairs - November 23, 2023
- Logitech MX ERGO Wireless Ergonomic Mouse Overview - November 22, 2023